Ariat Men’s Catalyst VX Brown MetGuard Round Composite Toe Zip and Velcro Work Boot
The ultimate work boot for extreme environments featuring revolutionary technology for optimal comfort, protection and durability. Mesh X-Static pure silver sock liner for permanent anti-odor performance. Composite toe rated ASTM F2413-11 M I/75 C/75 EH and ASTM F2413-11 MT/75.
- 8" Shaft Height
- Full-Grain Leather
- Round Toe
- Composite Toe
- ASTM F2413-11 M I/75 C/75 EH Rated
- ASTM F2413-11 Mt/75 Rated
- Waterproof Pro Construction
- Padded Collar
- Medial Side Zip Entry
- Front Velcro Fit Adjustment System
- Mesh X-Static Pure Silver Sock Liner
- Molded Heel, Cradle and Toe Cap
- Shock-Absorbing PU Midsole
- Oil- and Slip-Resistant Duratread Outsole
- Goodyear Welt
- 90 Degree Heel
- Zip and Velcro Closures
Bought a pair of these to replace my old pair of WorkHog Ariats. While they of course provide more ankle support than a slip on boot the micro Velcro straps began to fail within the first 2 months of work. A more reliable closure system is definitely necessary for a rework of this boot. The waterproofing was shot by month 4. And to add to the waterproofing issues, the liner only goes to the base of the ankle so you're really only protected from getting wet to a depth of approximately 4" in comparison to an 11" slip on. The soles wear about the same as the WorkHogs... currently going on 7 months with this pair and I would say by 6 months my pair was ready for replacement (Working 6 days a week with 15k to 25k steps/day on various industrial demolition sites). The met guard could also use some additional stiffening... maybe the use of multiple components to maintain flexibility but the use of a much harder material and stiffer material is needed. Carbon Fiber or whatever Ariat uses for its composite toe protection.
Positives of this boot:
* The rubber cover over the toe cap is great for warding off cuts from sharp steel while demolishing power plants or protecting from the razor edge of a piece of ductwork from a gut out job in a commercial building. Also protects with abrasion resistance against concrete rubble while doing below grade removals and surveying. This feature alone was the reason I tried a pair over the met guard WorkHog slip ons as I have had debris slice through the leather at the front of the toe box and there goes your waterproofing. This feature was great and performed above my expectations. I would add this to the met guard WorkHog slip on immmediately.
* Break in time was very quick as I have come to expect with Ariat and their footwear. On my work schedule, within a week they were 100% broken in and were comfortable out of the box with minor hot spots from wearing in at the beginning.
Does this pair of boots live up to its $300... short answer no. However, as boots go, the Ariat brand and this set of boots still outperforms many top competitors and to this date I have not found a more dependable brand than Ariat; however, a major redesign of this product is needed in order to warrant spending $300.
I am a ready mix driver, I am in acid, mud, water, uneven ground. These are the best things since peanut butter. My feet stay dry, warm, and breathe in the summer, I work anywhere from 6-16 hous a day, comfortable all day. I just bought my second pair and am waiting for them to come in. 2+ yrs. Best money ever spent. Thank you ARIAT.